Friday, May 12, 2006

Fashion Passion

Fashion in Jeddah is as contradictory as it gets. Everyone wears the same clothes, look the same, and yet not. "Thobes" and "abayas" may all look alike, but upon closer inspection, there ARE differences. You can tell a person's social status just by looking at his/her outer clothing, just like everywhere else.

It's when you live in a place like Jeddah that you realize what a struggle it is to express oneself through fashion or general appearance. Driving down Sitteen Street, I watched as a teenaged boy walked the "limp", a red handkerchief knotted at the top wrapped around his head, and a contrived look of boredom on his face. I imagine how much courage he'd had to muster to pull off that look.


I always delight in seeing someone expressing himself. Even when it's in something as judgemental as fashion.

************************************************

Earlier tonight, we had dinner at Friday's where Sharifah celebrated her 25th birthday. I finally met Sally's sister Sara, who shares a birthday with me, and who looks so much like Thalia [of Rosalinda fame] that it's shocking.

I'm two weeks into my walking regimen, and I don't see any changes. Dagnamit.

1 comment:

BabyPink said...

opama na "col na col" a feeling a bago a mama oto, ow?! hehehe:)