Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Photo Op



For my brother Adnan, who's been asking for pictures.

Turtle Power
Anyone who's been to Sarawat [aka Souk Aj-Jiddah Ad-Dawlih], knows this old bastard. He's been around for the past two decades.







Chillin' At Chili's
I don't like the food at Chili's. In fact, I don't even like this cup of capuccino. But isn't it picture perfect?

Brought To Us By...

The closest thing to an alcoholic beverage here in Jeddah: non-alcoholic malt. I remember back in high school, when my clique [Joan, Jiehan, Jehanifah, Michelle] and I would sneak out of the school grounds to get our daily dose of Lemon Barbican from the baqalah. This was before we discovered the alcoholic variety in college.

Paging Roger Bus-Riders...

Who can ever forget Roger the bus driver and the crazy-ass records he used to play on the bus radio? "Brother Louie Louie Louie...." used to haunt my dreams. It was in this bus that I made my first best friend: Sarah Saifullah, Pakistani national. She spoke English and I spoke Maranao. Friendship transcends language.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just luv luv this article of yours. Just reminds me of Jiddah a lot. At least now i know that the turtles in sarawat are still alive and the roger bus is still existent. hehe! I miss the turtles, I miss barbican (send me one if you can eh!), I miss the IPSJ buses. hahaha! love your girlfriend. Take care!

Baby Rockstar said...

JHIE, I know, eh? =) I remember you guys were crazy about the coconut drink, and remember the chocolate bar GOLD? And the potato chips called FACES? Faces of love long ago???? =)

Anonymous said...

RAMADAN KAREEM! No new write-ups? Post some good pictures girl! so, that somehow I know now how's jeddah now. and of course pics of you and friends out there. Damn, how I wish I was there, most of all this ramadan month. sale shoppping, good food, and night life,huhuhu!

Anonymous said...

Aydidaw...pakagagaw. I'm sure Sarawat ain't the same without me..hehe God I miss those custard pie in the grocery section, near the counter? try gettin some will you and tell me if it still tastes heavenly..SIGH..That bus, makes me wanna cry..the same bus that took us to our field trip in that SCience and Technology...I forgot.hehe The very same bus that pisses me off everytime I'm about to have my breakfast and blows its horn like a mother and ofcourse Mr. Roger roger..Awwwh the turtle, I'm just a bit surprised the water seems a lot clean..and that turtle is small, I guess our turtles died along with our dreams and mad youth..Miss ya Bitch

Baby Rockstar said...

Jhie: It's a bummer being a photographer here in Jeddah. You know how everything is Mamnou. Grrr. My friends wouldn't like their pictures posted, but you'll meet them when you get here. =) We'll part-ey, Jeddah style. LOL.

Bitch: I know, eh? You're so right. The old turtle died with our youth. The one in the picture is actually a descendant. Sad, innit?

Anonymous said...

Oh dear memories of the PSJ bus...wasn't the driver also addicted to George Michael's "Careless Whispers" lol! Remember the pink lunch box u had with u on our first meeting ont the bus?? Greetings from TO Canada!

Little did I know that googling my name would lead to my first best friend's blog!

Baby Rockstar said...

SARAH SAIFULLAH!! Oh, my! Now that you've mentioned the lunch box, I also remember how I used to ask for the kebab sandwiches in YOUR lunch box! LOL. Man, those were the days. =) Hope you're well!

I should google my name, too. See who's been trash-talking me. LOL. Miss ya, girl!