Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Boys, Boys, Boys, Boys

What I've Learned From The People & Things I Love, Part II

I have always surrounded myself with boys. Boys of varying natures, men, guys, boys-who-think-they're-men, boys-who-like-girls, and boys-who-like-girls-to-be-boys.

Bond. James Bond.

** My Brothers. I have a special bond with each of my brothers.

Omar - the one I can speak to about love and life in general. We wax political, we discuss books, and watch indie films together. Our bond is: complicated love stories.

Amir - the one I sing with. He has a beautiful singing voice, MashaAllah. Our bond is: karaoke.

Waleed - the one I share a circle of friends with, He's also the one who gets all my jokes, bland, lame, or otherwise. Our bond is: common friends and humor.

Zen - the one I've never had a fight with. We just never clash. He's also allegedly the best-looking from among them. (sure, man). Our bond is: laughter, and good & bad times.

Adnan - is the one I clash with the most. He's also the best writer in the family (second only to yours truly, of course). Adnan is also very sensitive. Our bond is: creative writing and Hanson's "Penny and Me".

Pollock - is my adopted son. We have five years between us, and I was always responsible for him. I check his grades (in college), I check his asthma medication, and we share a bedroom and a bathroom. He's the best guitarist in the bunch. Our bond is: movie one-liners and music.

Ayman - is the one I have the least in common with. The only thing we can do together is smoke. Also, we trash silly Korean soap opera plots. We have too many years apart, so we don't really hang out a lot. Our bond is: trashing people and soap operas.

Othman - our baby brother, is possibly the wierdest. Othman has a keen attention to detail, and in fact, borders obsessive compulsiveness. Our bond is: food and watching movies ten times over.

** My nephews. As if I didn't have enough brothers to bodyguard me, I adopted these two as my additional siblings.

PJ - my maternal nephew. He grew up with us in the same household, and shared a childhood. We were inseparable during in freshman college. Our bond is: college life.

Khaldon - a.k.a. G.I. Joe., a fantastic guitarist. We were partners when it came to sneaking out of the house in the middle of the night for a game of billiards. Our bond is: guitars and rebellion.

** My "boyfriends". I gravitate towards guys. In grade school, I had several girl friends, but twice as many guy friends. In college, I had a group of rowdy boys as buddies.

Onat - is my oldest guy friend. He is the only guy outside of my family that I would trust enough to live with and even share a bedroom with. Our bond is: money and road trips.

Alfie - My brother Waleed's best friend. We share a Saudi history. He would drive me around in his white jeep, and he would do me special favors, like the one time I craved pizza in the middle of the night and he helped me look around for a 24-hour pizza place. Our bond is: driving around and Maranao culture.

Nebil - also Waleed's best friend. He educated me in the ways of music. Has been my friend since 1st grade. Our bond is: life and music.

Tam-Tam - my nephew. We share a family history, and we were good friends in grade school. In college, we hung out together, went broke together, and flunk college together. Our bond is: post-adolescence idealism and R&B.

Kaka Archie - also my nephew (Tam-tam's older brother). He was my rock. He literally picks me up whenever I trip, and he's the most reliable among my friends. Our bond is: techie gadgets and family scandals.

Yahya - my drinking buddy. We deny knowing each other to avoid unnecessary gossip. Our bond is: fortune tellers and phone conversations.

Micks - the lover boy. He's very picky about girls, and has a cruel sense of humor. He's also very loyal. Our bond is: conversations about the "future" and stupid jokes.

Khalid - the sweetest guy in the group. He's the resident pretty-boy, too. Our bond is: foreign films at the university cinema and a pair of white-stained shorts.

Yamani - possibly the funniest guy I know. His sense of humor will take him places. Our bond is: serious conversation laced with crazy-ass jokes.

Ibnu - the 5-second man. He's the one I call for academic advice. Our bond is: career paths and long-standing jokes.

Majed - a relatively new friend. He has educated me in the ways of the Saudi. Our bond is: Saudi Arabia and the Arabic language.

** I have learned that guys tend to bullshit less when it comes to true friendship. I hang out with them because they treat me with respect and at the same time treat me as an 'equal'. I've also learned that it is much easier to talk to guys because they give it to you straight.

2 comments:

BabyPink said...

saken mambo na i have always been the "one-of-the-boys" type. kiyadak-dakelan ako den ai sa boypren. pambliin! problema na salakaw kiran a mga ginawai aken a mama na tanto ako den a kontra! basta a salakaw a mama na pendari-an ako! batabo labao igira malo pekha-short. hehehe:)

mapiya a osto a layok so mga mama ka opama na prinsesa ta, ogaid na pekhataplak ta mambo igira.

phanothol ako peman. miyakaisa den ai na dii kami disasandag ago so mga ginawai aken a mama na a bo a minitokao aken na go ako debaki o bolekad (mas bolekad adi saken) rekami sa likod! ey, aya den man a katawi ko ron na miyagowa aken a niyawa ko! da ako makatharo sa miyamakapira ka seconds! aya bo a minidingil aken on na: "ey, kiysokaran so phakakaid reka na aya den a kaiilaya ngka raken na mama!"

so peman so isa aken a ginawai na while dii kami disasandag na inanger aki na go ako niyan lebada a ator... sa olo!!! adidi ka maitek a ator, tig aken on a: "ey, da ka pen oto porot sa hollow block na go ngka raken piyakaosad! naino ka next time..." aw, na ba ko niyan den inikhala!

baraibo di mga adik a datar ta! hehehehehe:) sorry o ba ako peman tanto a miya-carried away ow?:)

Baby Rockstar said...

Hahaha. Osto den. Aya man a problema ron na igira minilingo ta iran sa punching bag! Mataan o di ko mambu siran di ndbaka-i. Ino kuwan ka, di siran phaka-ato sa braso akn a-i. Haha.