Saturday, August 12, 2006

Shape Of An L...

... on the forehead.

If a guy doesn't have the proverbial Asshole Streak, then he most definitely has the Loser Streak. To quote the Eraserheads,

"...there's a B-Side to every story..."

Now, it's not as bad as its asshole-y counterpart, but it's very annoying. It's very easy to detect, too; a guy's little habits, his humor, insecurity, paranoia, a hot temper, lame jokes, or general eggheadism.

So, how do we define cool, anyway?

The opposite of "Loser"?

Laissez-faire?

Sangfroid?

The ability to be quiet without shutting up?

Case in point: Fonzie of Happy Days fame. He was so cool that he practically crossed over to being a loser. You know, like when something is so sweet it becomes bitter? But what was it about him that was so cool? The exaggerated hand gestures, the pauses for applause or ooh-ahh?

I think it's cool when a guy is knows what he is capable of and is not ashamed of what he's not.

It's cool when he can take a joke or two and laugh at himself the way he laughs at other people.

It's cool when he cares, and yet, just doesn't.

I don't know why it's such a big deal. I have one of those streaks myself, especially visible when I lie about such obvious things as my weight. Or my paycheck. My question is, are Loser Streaks tolerable? To what extent?

What's YOUR loser streak?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you got me thinkin about my loser streak or cool streak for that matter. one things for sure, this saturday im gona be very self scrutinising at the bar.


...as they say 'know thy self'