Tuesday, October 24, 2006

A Lot Like Love

As people, as human beings, we often feel the need to romanticize our states-of-affairs, to make ourselves feel the heroism that we most probably never possessed in the first place.

"I do everything I can for you, I put you before myself, I spend all my money, time, and energy on you, and this is the thanks I get?!"

*****

Why do we cry at movies? At weddings? Because we mourn for what we don't have, what we never had, and what we probably would never have. I don't believe those tears shed in happiness or joy for another person.

Tears are a lot like love - SELFISH.

*****

"Sadness is everyone's secret."

1 comment:

V said...

I see your point - they are. Crying is a mnemonic function which activates not to celebrate other's achievements, but to mourn the loss of oneself. On the spurs of mushy moments, we might say things like "I'm so happy for you...". But that's just reflex diplomacy. What echoes inside is "What about me :'(?"