Saturday, January 6, 2007

A Blast From The Past

Talk about the best of both worlds.

At the risk of crude sentimentality, I'd say I had an amazing time last night.

On the blue corner, my old friends.
On the red corner, my new friends.

All of them are now, officially, friends-in-law.

My old friends:
a) Sheriff Ahmed (of Who Shot The Sheriff fame), an old classmate
b) Muneer Taleb, also an old classmate
c) Ahmed Selim, an old classmate of my brother Zen
d) Dudut, a very good friend of my whole male posse

Muneer was quoting an old saying, "Mountains never meet, but people do." Mother of all surprises, I AM NOT A MOUNTAIN. I haven't seen Muneer and Sheriff in 9 years. We used to spend N hundred hours couped up in a Filipino-dominated classroom. Introducing them to my new friends was quite the experience. On the one hand, these are people who know everything about me; I do not have a single memory of my whole childhood and tweenhood that didn't have them in the background somewhere. There is no space or need for any kind of pretension with them. We shared high-school teachers, lame jokes, minor discrimination, and eggheadism. That's enough to sustain a relationship.

On the other hand, my new friends are just beginning to see other sides of me. Incredulity is not uncommon. Yes, I was a monster. Yes, I used to beat up boys and girls. Yes, I used to laugh at peoples faces. No, I wasn't always nice and all-brown-sugar-ish.

We all met at the Serafi Megamall. The little impromptu reunion started with the boys calling me to fetch them at the Danube supermarket. I was their only ticket to that glitzy glamour-world called Malling. As per contempo-Saudi tradition, young men are not allowed into the malls without the supervision of their female counterparts. After the prerequisite gasping and you've-gained-so-much-weight comments, the walk down memory lane commences. We talk about dorky days and even dorkier school-people, laughed at former red-faced moments, and tsk-tsked about how we turned out.

Yeah, it's funny how things turn out. And funny how things don't.

People do change. But how much of us has changed?

5 comments:

DeVille said...

actually sis, ur not "sugar" indeed. u never were. ur more of a "salt". i mean think about it...salt will make u sick if ur intake of it all at once is huge. but if u put small amounts of it on different kindsa dishes...well u could just go on and on. get my point? on the other hand if u were "sugar" then in the long run people get sick of it...............is it just me or have i gone cross-eyed trying to explain this?!?:> hehehe

2istedgirl said...

awwwwwww!! i remember just sitting there watching u Reminisce with ur old friends .. and i envied you a bit .. but in a good way .. ur lucky that at least you have those old friends .. im sure that if i ever met a friend from my grade school or middle school .. they wudnt even remember me .. me and my family have moved around so friggin much ..
mashallah .. at least u can enjoy it :)
honestly .. it was nice to get to meet ur old friends ... they're kinda cool .. lol .. i liked that little guy .. hehehe he was soo shy ... if only i wasnt engaged .. *wink wink* ...
just kidding ... *jamboo*
now at least we all know that even the oh great nessreen was dorky at one point .. :) now we are all *fight fight* ... hehehehehehe
see u bgirl!!!

AphroditeShari said...

hehe... good times.. good times.. :D
gosh.. sitting here reading it all and just taking it in... i keep reliving that book.. *cursed thing* it was such an adventure.. it was such a joy to see that diff side of u.. Ive never loved a group of friends especially GIRLS as much as i love all of you.. you have been blessed to be able to combine a bit of both of your worlds.. and huny.. ppl dont REALLY change... their roots and who they are in their core.. will always be there.. just our perceptions of life and ppl.. or the opinions and decisions we make... they change... but a person can never run away from who they really are..

I dont think u were truly evil deep down.. if you were.. do you think those guys wud still be your friends? i dont think the sheriff wud let u run loose... do u?

stop being so hard on urself.. stop asking why things are happening.. stop analyzing.. and just live.
live the moment.. bask in the warmth... relive your memories..
its the best gift anyone cud ever ask for.

Baby Rockstar said...

DEVILLE: Thanks for the attempt anyway. Salt has always been (and will always be) a crucial part of everyday life. So I'm taking that as a compliment. *dances around maniacally*

2ISTEDGIRL: *Jamboo*!!! High-five!!! Yeah, I'm really proud of my former classmates. Even more importantly, I'm proud of my new group of friends. *bastard-hugs you*

APHRODITESHARI: Hear, hear. I completely agree. I am thankful for the fact that my first all-female group of friends turned out to be as colorful. Like my guy friends said when they first met y'all: "Damn, your friends are HOT." LOOL.

AphroditeShari said...

booyaa for HOT friends :D :D hehe... luv ya bumbum!!