Sunday, May 20, 2007

Gift-ed

Gifts are perpetually embarrassing, giving or receiving them. When someone's birthday comes along, you always think, "Will she like this?". Then you end up spending tons of money on something you're only half-sure she likes, only to slap yourself on the forehead later, thinking what other cooler things you could've gotten for her. Or him.

THEN you hand over the present, and the fervent thanks-giving ensues. "Oh, you shouldn't have!" and you're obligated to respond, "Oh, you deserve much, much more!" *red face*

I always die a little when people give me presents. It's always surprising, always flattering, and I never know how to respond. I usually smile from ear-to-ear, crack some lame joke, and then quickly make a list of things I can give the person back. "She got me a book, love it, love it, LOVE it; now I'll have to get her a gold watch." Yes, I was always bad at calculation.

So when one of my students, a real-life princess, gave me an expensive mobile phone as a thank-you gift, I did the only two things I knew to do:

a) Got so red-faced you could hardly see me in that big red abyss that was my face.
b) Showed it off to every single living person I knew.

For the sake of discussion, because we all know it is just next to impossible, what kind of gift can I give her back? What does one give a person who cannot possibly want or need something I can ever afford?

No, abstract ideas like freedom and loyalty and kindness do not count.

Anyway, I really appreciated the gesture; she was the best kind of princess I ever met, and even though I was utterly embarrassed by the present, the showing-off-afterwards was all worth it.

What was the best gift YOU have ever given or received?

4 comments:

BabyPink said...

i'm the same way. i don't exactly know how to react when people give me gifts, especially without any reason. when my students give me something, even food and drink, i feel really glad, but a little embarrassed, too. much more when they give me some little (sometimes big) things! hehehe:)

now, when i give gifts, i usually ask for a wishlist from the person. para sure that s/he likes what i get.:)dd0323am

2istedgirl said...

well .. i cant think of any great gifts i have recieved .. is that bad??

by the way .. LOVED UR PHONE!!

V said...

A GUITAR!..given to me by a great girl I went out with. It was the first electric I'd ever owned and fanatically pracitced on. No maestro yet, but years have passed and until now she's chereished regularly in everything I play. Talk about gifts with longevity and practicality!

Baby Rockstar said...

BABYPINK: Ok, I'll email you my wishlist. Wahehehe!! I mishu Druggie!!

2ISTEDGIRL: Naw, it's not bad. Once your great gift arrives, though, I wanna be there to see you embarrassed. =)

V: That's an amazing present!! Up until the mobile phone, my guitar (that my father gave me about 10 years ago) was the best gift I ever received. No maestro here, either. Hehe.