Monday, May 28, 2007

LISTEN

As soon as we hit our 20s, we get sucked into that void between adulthood and... adulthood. This is the time when we think we've transcended adolescence. But in reality, we haven't. We've just gotten more eloquent and impassioned in phrasing our complaints.

What was once "I hate my life" has now become "I'm having an existential dilemma."

It used to be "I hate my parents", now it's "They're manipulating my life so they can live out their faded dreams through mine."

Yep, same difference.

This is also the time when we ponder and write articulate blogs about how unsure we are with the paths our lives are taking. We never know what to do, never know what we want, never satisfied. We are always chasing dreams. As a result, the complaints consume us and we can't even start to think about living these dreams.

I'm proud of some people I know who pushed themselves into doing what they want to do. They stopped the complaining (or at least kept it at a minimum), and slaved on until they got to the starting point. Yes, JUST the starting point. It's a long way, but at least they're somewhere.

So everytime I hear Beyonce singing in that movie Dream Girls, I can't help but feel some of her triumph. This song is for my sister Jehan, for achieving her goals, for getting her degree finally, and for taking control of her life; and for Shari, who also finally took a step forward, inching closer and closer towards success.

Now, close your eyes, and imagine me screaming at the top of my lungs, Beyonce-style, singing this song.

Listen
To the song here in my heart
A melody I start
but can't complete

Listen
To the sound from deep within
It's only beginning to find release

The time has come
For my dreams to be heard
They will not be pushed aside and turned
Into your own,
all 'cause you won't listen

Listen
I am alone at a crossroads
I'm not at home in my own home
And I've tried and tried
To say what's on my mind
You should have known...

Now I'm done believing you
You don't know what I'm feeling
I'm more than what you made of me
I've followed the voice you gave to me
But now I've got to find my own...

You should have listened...

Listen
To the song here in my heart
A melody I start
but I will complete...

2 comments:

BabyPink said...

digitawan mambo aki ka kapkhalokes ta na tig ta oba pesaboten ta a doniya ini ago so kaoyagoyag, takinoba a ba ta baden pekhadadag na pekhadadag. ei, so Allah!

:)

xam said...

hahaha! well said ness. :)
i actually stopped being an existentialist to become a law student for ONE YEAR. then i decided i'd rather be an existentialist full-time, and keep my lawyering dreams to a minimum. so here i am blogging again, wreaking all my angst in my effort to destablize the world hahaha! well, i guess i'd rather obsess about my dreams, looking at it like it's just the road ahead i'm about to travel, than actually walk on it. kakapagod yun!
sabi nga eh, "By not going down the road, it remains the road ahead which excites me. It even brings me joy." - John Cage, Ally McBeal

rationalize. yan ang dapat nating gawin. hahaha. that's what blogging's for. :)