Monday, September 24, 2007

On Art

I've always had a love-hate relationship with photography. I love it because it captures profundity and beauty in the most mundane of things, it exudes emotion, it changes views, it inspires action. I resent it because it intrudes, it trespasses the thin, fragile lines of privacy.

By getting myself a camera, I am nurturing this relationship. I want to dip into that vast ocean of profoundness found on both sides of the lens, or, in true klutz fashion, slosh through it. I want to conquer this fear of truth, of honesty, of being open and straightforward.

Maybe I'm a little too dramatic. Maybe I won’t do any of those things, maybe I'll stick to taking ordinary photographs of random things: the corner of a table, a glass of water, a mug of pencils, "the curve of a woman's hip", to quote Winona Ryder's character in Autumn In New York.

Maybe I'll just take pictures of my friends: posing with their hands in a collective Peace Sign, smiling at the camera with a calculated and practiced pose, or caught mid-sentence in an unflattering angle.

Maybe I'll remain mundane.

***
My father was the happiest with my purchase. His delight encouraged me; maybe someday I'll become as good as he is. I listened to him talk about apertures, exposure, lenses, shutter speed; listened not to what he was saying, but to his words and the animation that lit up his older face. "Ah," he said, "but my eyes are so bad now, I miss the beauty in things. I don't see anymore."

Maybe it's wrong to allow my father's interests to take control of mine. Maybe I should do this for myself. Maybe. Maybe not.

Right now, this moment, I don't know where I'm going.

I can't say I completely dislike the feeling.

***

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Take Control of Life

4 comments:

AphroditeShari said...

just let the lens lead the way *hug*

BabyPink said...

i looove photography, too. dream aken a makapamasa ako sa camera a ino so pang-photographer gyud ah. so manga-ala a maregen saboten ah! now, i'm settling for an ordinary digicam pero i love it.

i love taking pictures and i love looking at pictures.:)

i'm sure a seka na mala ka on i talent ka mala ka i talent a manosiya. i'm excited to see the photos you will be taking!

go na!:)

Baby Rockstar said...

Oway, so oto so mga kamera a ptalowan sa Saitan a, ka piyamakaluk-luk, so miyamakapunupunud a? Hahaha. Si Papa na adn a rkiyan on, aya ko pagusarn.

Thanks for the compliments!! It means so much to me. Katawan kadn a kapag-artista akn. Wahihihi. Some of my work is posted at www.dA-reject.deviantart.com

Obangka bu panuladn a Marawi, or MSU. It will make a very nice photo album, and my Dad would love to see it. =)

BabyPink said...

ah, na so sii ron sa downtown na malo maregen ka di ako roo man phakasong lalayon ka aya bo man a doniya aken na giya a msu ai! hahaha! madakel ako toladan sa msu na kay di ko khi-upload ka da a oras. korang. naino ka makapag-internet kami sa walay, insha-Allah.:)