Monday, October 1, 2007

Pilgrimage

Having had about 15 years of experience performing Umrah, I have made some observations.


** Never underestimate the strength of old lady pilgrims. They have big, calloused hands, the better to push you with. Encountering one, which is a huge possibility, constitutes an 80-year-old lady manhandling and roughhousing you, and you not being able to do anything about it.

** Wear extra thick socks to cushion the blow of stepping on date cores/seeds, especially if you're going to perform your Umrah around Maghreb time.


** No, it is NOT a mosh pit, NOT an extreme sport, and NOT Amazing Race, no matter how much you have convinced yourself that it kinda is. So concentrate on praying, not winning or yelling "Unbelievable!" at rude people.

** I'm a Bring-Your-Own-Scissors kind of girl, so it always annoys me when I reach the end of my Umrah - and I'm this close to finally sitting down and resting my over-flexed calves - and I can't get a move on because my scissors are being passed on from one family to the next, cutting hair by the fistfuls. It's extremely humbling to be reminded of patience and generosity. What's the harm in lending scissors? We tend to forget.

** We tend to forget that we're there for: worship. So let's keep the cussing at zero. Don't cuss out the female security who always shove you in attempts to keep the crowding at a minimum. They're just doing their job. I repeat, resist the urge to cuss. Not even in spelling. (Oooh, that bee-eye-tee-see-etch!)


** The biggest fear of all pilgrims is to get lost, to break away from their group never to be found again. This is where the Universal Green Light comes in. Everyone goes to the green light if they're lost. Can't find your way? Green Light. Looking for someone? Green Light. Not sure where to start your Tawaf? Green Light.


** Get that tune out of your head! Sometimes, the whole experience of Umrah is so exhilarating that one wants to break into song. Make Du'a instead; pray.


Outside of these observations...


I am humbled by the magnificence of Al-Haram, by the unity of the Muslim Ummah in prayer.


I am amazed by the extent of human generosity.


I am overwhelmed by the power of faith and prayer.


I am humbled by Allah's might.



*****

It's good when a group of friends party and have fun together. Even better when they pray together.


May Allah accept our prayers, may He bless us, and guide us to the right path.

Ameen!


Ramadan Kareem, errbody!

5 comments:

V said...

Spot on!

Baby Rockstar said...

Hehe, thanks.

BabyPink said...

piyakasigi-sigi...

:)

Anonymous said...

kakainggit naman, how i wish i could perform Umrah and Hajj too.

Baby Rockstar said...

InshAllah you will. =)