Monday, September 19, 2005

Death by Film

5 Films I Watch A Lot:

5. Pulp Fiction. You know what, any movie by Quentin Tarantino is worth watching hundreds of times over, IMHO, of course. His films have a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am feel about, sort of a no-bullshit bullshit approach. But Pulp Fiction was fantastic. I loved the soundtrack [Al Green's I'm So In Love With You], I loved the dialogue, I loved the humor, I loved Samuel Jackson's Ezekiel 25:17 speech, I loved Uma Thurman's OD scene, I loved Quentin's cameo, and I love John Travolta.

4. Snatch. Director Guy Ritchie is crazy. Cool, funny crazy. His films have a straightforward quality, just like Tarantino's, and I like that. Swept Away starring his wife Madonna was good, even though the people over at the Box Office didn't. His earlier film Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels is almost as good as Snatch, except it didn't star Brad Pitt and his crazy-ass Gypsy accent. This is probably the only film [before Troy] I liked that starred Brad Pitt because I really don't like Pitt in heartthrob roles. I wasn't bothered to watch Legends of The Fall, and I hated Meet Joe Black and Pitt's stupid peanut-butter-licking character. Sorry. Anyway, Benicio del Toro also starred in Snatch, and it featured his now-famous squint. The only other person who can squint as well as del Toro does is the original squint-er Bruce Willis, who in turn lent his squinting prowess in Pulp Fiction.

3. Face Off. Because I love John Travolta. I just do.

2. City of God. Man, that was some serious film-making there. Every time I watched it, I learned something new, some new insight, some new emotion, some new poignant conclusion, what-have-you. Plus, the soundtrack was fantastic. You can never go wrong with James Brown.

1. Pretty Woman. Who doesn't watch Pretty Woman over and over again, anyway? It's the classic Cinderella Story, made so much more special because it seems absolutely impossible and far-fetched.

2 comments:

BabyPink said...

ainao, oli, aya bo a kiyambantyan ko saya a kompleto na giya a #3! miyabisto so di tanto pembantay! hehehe:)

Baby Rockstar said...

Hahaha. Drugs, sakn i miyabisto ka miyaklaro so da a galbuk iyan odi kambatay ago kakudpang. Hahaha.