Wednesday, March 22, 2006

6 Easy Steps...

"Wisely and slow. They stumble that run fast." - William Shakespeare

Being a Muslim is most difficult when we are young. In fact, being religious in ANY faith is most difficult at this time. Temptations abound, and we are still so lost, insecure of ourselves, still searching for something concrete to hold on to. But discovering our religion and all the good things we can learn from it is one of the best things we can find when we are young.

I'm not saying that I'm a good Muslim. But I know that I'm better now than I used to be. I realize now that faith cannot be forced. The more we are forced to do something, the more we rebel against it. It's one of the things that we can only achieve in our own time by taking small steps, slowly and surely. A little like losing weight, or growing up.

"New Age Muslims" are a new breed, mainly because of the issues that we grapple with. We have any number of bad habits that are so hard to get rid of, habits that we know are wrong and destructive to us, not only as Muslims, but as human beings. Our elders reprimand us, chastise us, scold us, but all we can think of is: "Man, you wouldn't understand." We are carefree, we LOVE not caring. But what happens afterwards?

When the party's over, after the friends have gone and the music has died down, you are left to yourself feeling empty, and robbed of something... something you don't even know you had. And then you realize it is your faith that you've lost. There is nothing else to hold on to.

When I was going through the same phase, I was panic-stricken. I didn't know who else to turn to. My parents didn't need the stress, my sister had enough on her plate, my friends were just as lost, and my brothers were just starting their own phases. I had only myself, and my trips to the bookstore, eyes going over the titles of self-help books I was embarrassed to be found browsing. Where is "7 Effective Habits of Spiritually Successful Muslims"? "Chicken Soup for the Muslim Soul"? Nowhere.


We don't really need self-help books. We just need to stop for a bit and think. And maybe have a little checklist.

1. Learn what you can about your religion. Islam teaches beautiful values. Every act of worship has a healing touch. Read books. Read the Qur'an.

2. Make friends with Muslims your age, people who are going through the same things as you. They are great sounding-boards, and you can discuss every issue without fear of admonition.

3. Apply what you have learned. Try it on for size.

4. Worship. Prayer is an exhilirating experience.

5. Be generous to people less fortunate than yourself. Kindness is preached in Islam. It cleanses your big-spending, credit-card-maxxing, partying soul.

6. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Inquiry is always good.

Well, I think I've succeeded in sounding like an inarticulate Dr. Phil, so I hope I succeed in following my own advice. What a lot of us don't know is that there are degrees to being a Muslim. Like university, there are pre-requisites. We can't just jump on to the last level. We need to learn and earn.

Yay, self-help!

Salaam.

3 comments:

fafarrahzzi said...

hey ness. i so feel ya there. for quite some time now i've been thinking of the reasons for this sort-of emptiness (look, i can't even say it outright) that i'm feeling inside. and i've always attributed it to other things.. things that are more concrete and hence more addressable. or so i thought.

maybe i do need to get down and dirty, set myself on the road to self-discovery through religion. get the whole getting-to-know-Islam process started again. been there before and i think i was loving it, but i just totally suck in implementation.

that's all, i guess. i have a problem, that much i do know. hemingway, thanks for your "easy steps".. got me thinking again.

..hope you're just great. la lang. take care, girl!

BabyPink said...

alhamdulillah.:)

osto, osto den. so Allahu ta'ala...

miyabatiya ka so "commanding a dynamic islamic personality" i shaik m. kadir? mapiya sekaniyan. miyakakowa ako ron ka bigan ako ron o foster grandpa aken sa singapore.:)

miyabaya-baya ako sa kiyailaya ko a aden a bago ngka a entry!:)

Baby Rockstar said...

FARRAH: Hola, kindred spirit! I've missed our conversations. But this is the next best thing. Good luck to us, sister girl!

DRUG: Da akn oto mabatiya, druggie, na. Giluba-an akn kona-a. Miyamis akn so kasurat, na kagiya-a dadn a kato-on a oras. Salamat ka malo akongka saya psurongn. => Miss ya.