Wednesday, August 8, 2007

The Gray Anatomy

"Nobody knows where we might end up.. Nobody knows..
Suppose we never know?"

Grey’s Anatomy moves me. I’m not sure if it’s because I’m me, and I live vicariously through the movies and the TV shows that I love to watch. Or if it’s because this one inspires me to be better at my job, pushes me to do my best and make a difference in people’s lives, pushes me to love and respect what I do. Or if it’s because it makes me realize that I AM an important member of this community that is behind the success of one company. Or if it just makes me sad to think that if I’d done better in school, if I’d made better decisions, that I’d be so much more than I am right now. Maybe I would’ve been a good doctor, maybe a great lawyer. I know this is just me, the slave to society, speaking. How bad is it to be a teacher, an excellent teacher, if it means I’m helping my family at the same time I’m supporting a company – two things that are bigger than myself? Why do I have to be a cliché?

Why can’t I be content with what good I’m getting from my current situation – considering my achievements or lack thereof?

Why is it so hard to accept the fact that maybe, just maybe, this is what I was always meant to do?

Why does it feel like I’m always just settling for second best? All the friggin time? And why am I stuck in a rut when I should be flourishing at this age, when I should be pushing myself to my greatest potential? What IS my greatest potential? I never had the chance to find out. I don’t know if I ever will.

“Waking is better than sleeping.”

And yet, every day at work, when I go out with my friends, when I get home, I can’t wait to sleep. I might have mastered the art of time suckage without even knowing it.

“Why do I keep hitting my head with a sledgehammer? Because it feels SO GOOD when I stop.”

***

Dr Grey reminds me so much of Jehanifah. The straight hair & that fringe, the scrubs, the shirt-sleeves underneath the scrub, the eyes that look like she's just woken up. Why was I even surprised when I found out that she watches this show? I so know she would be attached to it as much as I am. We are both suckers for hard work, excellence, and prestige disguised as profundity, indifference, and good-quality sweaters. Yes, this has always been our bond. Cold weather coupled with warm comforts like cigarettes, cups of coffee, epiphanies, and cashmere. And that’s what I think of when I watch Dr Grey. I don’t even like her character. She is too... fluid. She doesn’t have clear lines, she is all fuzzy. I can’t tell where she begins and where she ends. She is a mishmash of too many personalities.

6 comments:

DeVille said...

okay here's how it goes...if dr. meredith grey is jehanifa, you are dr. callie torres, and i am dr. burke. and hey, i can be burke. LOL:D SERIOUSLY!?! oh and tip, stop using the sledgehammer, try the jackhammer, its way better.:D

Baby Rockstar said...

LOOOL.

1st of all, you're the third person to say that I'm so hot I remind them of Dr Callie T.

2nd of all, SERIOUSLY? Like, Dr Burke is the HOTTEST guy in that show. How about you be Dr Karev? Or Dr O'Malley? Oh, wait, no, that's your OTHER brother, Othman. Hahaha.

DeVille said...

LOL. i dont know but i dont think dr. callie t. is hot.

okay...i guess i can be karev...or maybe Danny Duquette.:DLOOOOL. othman is meredith grey's father!!!!LOL. SERIOUSLY

V said...

Your current lifestyle doesn't match an iota of your true potential. Like so many naive expatriates,you are holding on to the dellusion of this place being your home, when its nothing more than a vacation that has lasted years. It'll be sad, the four days of people remembering you after you're dead; "Oh, that Nessreen who was so crazy and worked at Berlitz, watched people on TV that were so much more successful than her in real life, had a thing for coffee and cigarettes..my!, at one point, I was so sure that girl would do something outrageously wonderful..but oh well...guess who I saw at Friday's today...."

AphroditeShari said...

lool... v... u've gotten this Nessreen mixed up with another... she doesnt have a thing for coffee and ciggs...

BabyPink said...

and, i'll be the fourth one to say that callie reminds me of you. adik ako mambo sa grey's anatomy aya. i've always thought a aden a datar sa bontal i callie (take note: first name basis kami) na giyoto a pitharo raken o tenged aken a khikilala reka (ka sikat ka man) a seka kon na, aidao, go ako makakorisek ago makathatambalilid nah (hindi naman masyadong exag)! osto bes a seka! ahihihi!:)

anyway, i *heart* christina yang! sekaniyan i mala a dii aken saya diimbantay! ago si dr. bailey!:)